starting from seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Unregistered, Oct 31, 2005.

1. now that I am retired I would like to start a hobby and am interested in starting some fruit trees from seed. Any suggrstions would be appreciared.

Waverly

2. SRTech

SRTech Member

Well, since most of the time fruit seeds don't grow true to the variety they came from, it will always be an experiment. But who knows, you might find winner after a while.

3. Taoist

Taoist Member

I, too, am interested in starting fruit trees from seed. Yes, I know I cannot count on the seedling being true to the parent, and that grafting is quicker, etc. What I would like to know is *how* to prepare the seed; what the best seeding medium is; do I need to winter over (or have seeds spend time in the refrigerator). These plants will, at least initially, be indoor houseplants. I may plant outside after several years <shrug>, who knows.

Any help is appreciated. btw, I'm starting with nectarine seeds.

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I've started nectarine seed indoors and it did not need any cold stratification. I use a regular 'Seed Starting Mix' which I'm sure you can get at your local garden center. To prepare the seed, or rather to get rid of the bits of fruit I usually soak the seed for a
    day or two. I use small yoghurt cups and put the cups in ziplock sandwich bags to keep the soil from drying out.

5. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Key Limes are fun they come true and are fast growers. And Pineapple is another fun one. Many people may not realize it, fresh Pineapples have seeds, The seeds or located just inside the outer skin, the seeds are about the size of a flea

Many types of Oranges, Lemons, Limes, and Grapefruits are always a joy. Many of which may not produce fruit for many years. but if you already own one that is producing fruit.

You could try your hand at T-budding and use these as root stock. For all these seeds I use the Baggie Method. Have fun.