Starting an arboretum

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by trillium trace, Aug 22, 2005.

1. trillium trace

trillium trace Member

trillium trace

My family is just now acquiring a 30 acre tract of virgin hardwood forest in the southwest corner of Georgia. We hope to make it into a miniature botannical garden. We are so excited about the possibilities, that we don't know where to start. Identification and location of each tree and shrub will come first with proper labels on each one. Then what? Walking paths; invitations to the neighboring colleges and forestry classes? I have an appointment with our local optomotrist to improve my vision. How else can I identify a leaf in a tree 200' up into the sky. If the leaf falls, how can I be sure which one is its source?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it is virgin forest, better to keep it as a nature reserve than an arboretum - the ground flora may hold interesting rarities as well, which might be harmed by any mowing etc under the trees. But do remove any invasive non-native species (Kudzu, Ailanthus, etc, etc).

For high-up foliage, you could do worse than get a small telescope, something like a Kowa, Zeiss, Leica or Nikon (to see what's good, ask any serious birder, they know their scopes well - don't just get the dross sold at mail order stores).

And check out this thread before starting on any labelling!
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=333