British Columbia: Spring Plant/Seed/Etc. Swap: Sunday April 22nd/07

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by westcoastgarden, Mar 10, 2007.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think there is always an ebb and flow to such groups and interest does seem to be at a low ebb. Our group extends all over the lower mainland and so for some people Maple Ridge is not that far; I think it is a matter of timing rather. At least three people who are usually major traders are not able to come, or have reduced their involvement, and perhaps we have not attracted enough new people with significant trading material to keep things at a critical mass. The key to making trading work within a consistent group like this is for all of us to be buying and propagating new plants every year so that each of us has something new to offer each time. Otherwise we are all better off constantly finding new trading partners to whom our collection is new, rather than trading consistently within the same group.

I'd say this swap could be called off; those of us who want to can connect individually, and we can see if interest is great enough in the fall to re-group.

2. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Given the response - and the lack of response as well - I am officially cancelling next Sundays swap.

I am disappointed. I look forward to this event.

Hopefully we can make it work this fall.

In the meantime, Karin has a point about new plants and people.

A lot of us start many new varieties from seed, so having more selection shouldn't be a problem if we all plan ahead.

Cheers,

WCG

3. teeka

teeka Member

Too bad, I bought the cappuccino lilies specifically for trading
    purposes.
    Donna

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

That's exactly the spirit needed, Donna, we need more like you. It's too bad we've lost so many people this time 'round. I will send you a message and perhaps we can make that trade we'd arranged, or pot them up and save for fall...

5. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Between the twins and moving etc., I'm sure I can meet up with whomever I promised stuff to. Actually, the sooner the better - so far the plants have been on their own and the weather has been co-operating but I'm sure they'll be all dead if we have a week long stretch of good weather. I even have some rockery stuff for you Katherine.

6. tmanky

tmanky Member

bcgift52,

I am so grateful to you that you are still willing to meet up for the "trade" (or whatever you want to call it since it is one sided). I live in Coquitlam and work in North Vancouver so I could come and pick up any plants you have to offer any time you like. What area of town do you live in? I am usually heading home at 4pm but if another time (earlier or later) works better with you, I can make that work with my schedule. If there is any chance that today (Tuesday) works, please give me a call. Otherwise, just let me know when works best for you.

Hope to here from you soon!

Many thanks again!

Tara

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Tara
    Sorry, didn't see your message till now. I think Friday after your work might work for me but I'll PM or call you tomorrow to confirm.

8. Monika

Monika Member

Bcgift52,
    I just found your post, and I see you have some Clematis you want to share.
    Is there any chance you have more than Tara needs? I'm desperately looking for Clematis between people, but it looks nobody knows how to propagate them....

9. tmanky

tmanky Member

Friday works great. I will watch for your PM or phone call.

10. doodle

doodle Member

Hi everyone. I cant believ the day i find this forum on the internet is the day of the SWAP! So i missed it...if it happened.. if it was cancelled- then I think you guys should have it next weekend!!

I have never been to a swap but it sounds FUNN !!

CANDY- are you still on this thread? What is VESEYS and where can i get some of that MC thyme. it looks awesome. I have tried for three years now to get some growing IRISH MOSS growing between my pavers.. The seeds that you shake out of a can? Have you seen those- anyways- each year i buy, water, sprinkle them .... then NOTHING. What a waste of time and money.. That beautiful MC thyme would be perfect... but i need enought to creep between 200 sq ft patio....

Suggestions?

THANKS !

11. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Vesey's is a mailorder nursery. http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/

We are planning a swap this fall - hopefully you can join us!

WCG