Spring may be gone but Maples still looking good in all their glory.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jaybee63, Jun 9, 2019.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Beautiful plants! Thanks for sharing. What is the pink Acer is in your second photo?

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Thanks..all bar 2 of my trees are in pots..they are all coming with me when I move!!! The one you mention is Asahi Zuru. I have another of a similar size that it similar Oridono- nishiki.

Some lovely trees at Hampton Court garden show this year..Pat from Hippopottering Maples always has a fabulous display and is a lovely person who makes the time to chat

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@dicky5ash thanks for the great pics, I really enjoyed them, and welcome to the forum!

Mark I finally got outside to take of few pics of 'Emmet's Pumpkin', looking a little more like roast pumpkin right now. It's in full sun for now until the surrounding trees grow up more, and I do find that it will be red and not orange where the sun has hit. So only a little orange on the inside of the tree for now probably, this coming autumn. Also took a few pictures of the brilliant new carmine growth on Acer wilsonii.

Attached Files:

SLR2009, ROEBUK and dicky5ash like this.
  4. dicky5ash

Lovely tree you have there, I’ve heard of but not seen that one before. Thanks re my trees..am humbled by the collections people have on here..after 18years or so of collecting JM I thought it was time I joined a group of people who actually know what they are doing..as my luck rather than judgement is bound to run out at some point.

5. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

emery as usual great looking pictures of you super collection of trees , oh for a bit more ground :) :)

6. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

emery, I love your Emmett's Pumpkin, how long does the red coloring last?

7. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Well the red it really color from the sun. It's in full sun and takes kind of a beating, so we get that color all summer long really. Just senescence, or early fall color, with the further disadvantage that its final color is mostly red and not the fantastic orange from which it gets its name. I looked back to 2015 and found a couple of pics of the plant in the pot, this is the color without too much sun.
    IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG
    BTW this maple after planting had a similar problem to the recent "keep or throw out" thread. It has now really recovered and is starting to put on size quickly.

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. dicky5ash

Amazing colours :)