spring bulb for forcing going moldy

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by erin_juniper, Nov 8, 2007.

1. erin_juniper

erin_juniper Active Member

I don't know why I can't seem to get a hyacinth bulb to grow from the water.
    It's an eight up from the water. It gets medium cunlight and some artificial close to full spectrum light. This is the 2nd bulb now that is going moldy underneath.

I planted one in dirt and it too didn't grow, just grew little flies and rotted.
    I figure with that one it was too much water.

But whats up with the vase hyacinth? It looks just like in the pictures I see of them online.

Not enough sun? But it's winter, how much sun can I give it? It's indoors at 21 degrees although near a window.

Any ideas?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Bulbs to be forced must be 'pre-treated' with a chilling period that mimics what the bulb would experience in winter. That process breaks the dormancy and the bulb will then grow in the conditions that you describe. Most bulbs sold are destined for the garden and so are not pre-treated for forcing. One needs to buy bulbs already treated which are labelled as suitable for forcing.

Hyacinths ready to be forced, can be grown in water as you are doing but will do much better in a pot with soil with the bulb neck just at soil level.

3. erin_juniper

The bulbs I bought were pre chilled and I put 'em in the fridge for another 4 wks with no apples.

All I can figure is they must not be getting enough sun.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

A bulb does not require light to start growth. It will require light to sustain growth though, otherwise you'll get anemic white shoots.

5. erin_juniper

Seems like the bulb in the vase is starting to go. And I see little points of green coming out of the planted bulbs. I dunno why the first set didn't work.
    If they don't need light do they need warmth from the sun? And I think just a tiny bit of water. I think I watered the first ones too much too.

Thanks for your help