Spray Improves Plants’ Cold Tolerance

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Olafhenny, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Well, who says, we cannot grow bananas in the Arctic; - well not quite, but here is step one: :)

Spray Improves Plants’ Cold Tolerance
    Newswise — Studies indicate a spray-on formula increases plants’ tolerance of cold temperatures by several degrees.

The spray, which is not yet commercially available, can improve plants’ cold tolerance between 2.2 and 9.4 degrees Fahrenheit, depending upon the species, according to Dr. David Francko, a professor of botany who co-developed the spray and who serves as dean of The University of Alabama graduate school and assistant vice president for academic affairs.

Research results indicate the spray, which the developers have named Freeze-Pruf, is effective on a variety of plants, including palms, tropical houseplants, bananas, citrus plants and flowers. Commercial growers, including those growing edible bananas in south Alabama, would benefit from the longer growing season that a more cold tolerant plant would provide.

Unquote

See the rest of the story at: http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/542413/

I can just see myself planting my tomatoes 2 to 3 weeks earlier and still enjoying them after the first frost. :)

2. sweetpea66

sweetpea66 Member

I would love that. We are just in the right area to expand our zone a few degrees and who know what we could grow.

3. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Hmmm...

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

there is a product from Safers called Wilt Pruf, its an anti dessicant, I didnt read the article in the link but I am assuming its similiar.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Above article says it has five ingredients.

Each ingredient has a different function, but when you put them all together you get an effect that is larger than any single component, alone, Francko said. Its non-toxic, its cheap, and the idea is to apply it once per season. Each of the ingredients in Freeze-Pruf is already used, for other reasons, in various foods or in food production."

6. jimmyq

After Ron's quote I figured I should read the article before commenting further, so I just did. Apparently it isnt an anti dessicant (kind of a waxy stuff you spray on the leaf to plug it up against excessive transpiration causing physical damage to the leaf) but rather it changes the plants internal cellular structure allowing a lower temperature before damage occurs to cells. My guess is that it wont be available in Canada for a while, PMRA isnt a fan of products that dont disclose their ingredients (IE Superthrive).

But if I may try to be punny, it sounds cool! :)

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Shouldn't that be "super cool"?

8. jimmyq

totally. now if we can get the plants resistant to influenza as well it would be totally sick, to coin a phrase of our times.

9. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You'll have to bring your influence to bear on that.

10. jimmyq

bear influence on influenza? where does the inflorescence come in to play?