spots on leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Bertie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bertie

Bertie Member

Hi,
    Please can anyone help a newbie? I have a Burrageara (Nelly Isler) bought recently between flowering, to avoid damage in transit. It is on a North facing windowsill in bathroom (with my african violets) and is showing spots on the leaves. These are red/brown or transparent.
    Could this be too much light, or possibly overwatering?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

The spots and yellowish to clear streaking indicate a virus infection. Lots of plants may have such infections. If the plant is healthy otherwise I would not worry but do not place it near other orchids and after handling it, just to be on the safe side, wash up before handling other orchids especially if you are repotting.

3. Bertie

Bertie Member

Hi terrestrial man, nice to meet you,
    Many thanks for replying. Apart from this spotting, the plant seems to be strong, and looks to be growing quite well. Should I cut off badly affected leaves, and is there a cure?
    I have isolated it, but would like to be able to reintegrate at some point if possible.

4. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I won't tell you not to worry about spots because they can signs of viral infection but they can be caused by fungus, insects and other things as well. Many of my Oncidium alliance plants have spots from various types of damage over the years (I've never tested for virus) and my Zygos always develop spots as the leaves mature. Another thing I'd like to mention is that north facing situations probably aren't enough light for this plant.

Shaun

5. Bertie

Bertie Member

Many thanks Shaun, I've moved it to a South facing window, where it is now putting up a spike, so either it's doing ok or is convinced that I am about to kill it. (It must be awful to be a plant belonging to an ignorant newbie!)