splitting zebra grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by fleur52, Aug 27, 2006.

1. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

I have a large zebra grass plant and would like to cut it back into a smaller clump. Should this be done in the spring when the grass is cut back and can I do it with just a round-mouthed edger?

Thanks,

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Wait until spring, likely to need something longer-bladed than a lawn edger. Depends on how big and deep the clump is now.

3. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

The clump is over a metre across and grows to 8' tall, that's why I thought I'd have better luck splitting it in the spring, but wanted to ask the experts.
    Thanks for you help.

4. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Fleur, leave the foliage on through the winter. In the spring go through the middle with a very sharp spade. (I use a reciprocating saw for cortaderia..ie, pampas grass). Apply a light mulch around the crown..without touching it and when you see new growth in the spring go for it.....just remember....lots of water and well drained soil at transplanting time. Zebrinus really appreciates a semi-shady site with nice back light either morning or afternoon...the bands really stand out then.. Good Luck Deb

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

rather..should read..WE appreciate Zebrinus with a back light! It could care less. lol

6. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Deb ~ Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try..