Identification: Split in a Japanese Maple due to winter snow

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sarihalsey, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Sarihalsey

Sarihalsey Member

Hi there,
    My boss has a weeping Japanese Maple tree which we just discovered a crack in it. He has taped up the branch to the tree because the branch is still alive and he hopes to save it, instead of having to cut it off. Has there been much success with this. What would suggestions be to do for this problem. He had thought he might be able to drill a wood screw into it also to keep it intact. What are people's thoughts about this. I appreciate all the help I can get. It is just getting warm here, in eastern Long Island, NY.
    SariHalsey.

P.S. I have myself a peach tree about 5 years, tiny sapling, which I have swaddled in potato sacks and rope to protect from the winter. Also will be spraying with deer off to keep the deer away. When is a good time to unwrap my tree? I think I probably should wait a few weeks until i am sure there will be no more freezes.
    Thanks for your help

2. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You can find helpful information in this thread - sounds like your boss's maple has a similar problem. Good luck.

3. Sarihalsey

Sarihalsey Member

Thank you for your response. I went to the thread that you suggested and got information for the split in the Weeping Japanese Maple. Much appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Sari