Spiky watermelon vine thing? Possible Cucumis?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by jotjen, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jotjen

jotjen Member

Hello! I searched for hours and got nowhere, looking through plant ID charts and other websites. This is a plant that I found Near Issaquah in the Pacific Northwest just east of Seattle, living amongst blackberry bushes. The closest I could guess was some sort of Cucumis species, but could not find anything that was quite right. So here it is, any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Could this be Cape Gooseberry?

3. jotjen

jotjen Member

I initially thought it might be a gooseberry, but it is much larger than any gooseberry or kiwi I know. It is also not furry at all. And I think a Cape Gooseberry has a papery outer shell like a tomatillo or ground cherry, and is smaller and yellow.

Thanks though! (Fast reply too!)

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I have not the smallest doubt that our bevy of experts (aka: The Brain Trust) will have this puppy IDed for you in a flash. With one look, these lynx-eyed plant mavens will nail it!

5. jotjen

jotjen Member

Fingers crossed - I know the experts are out there... but are they paying attention? :)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Marah oreganus.

7. jotjen

jotjen Member

That's it!

Thanks Ron, did you know that from experience or do you have some secret book or website of plant identification that you use?

For anyone interested:

The Oregon Manroot or Coastal Manroot, Marah oregonus, is a common manroot of northern west coast of the U.S.. It ranges from California north to Canada.

It is "edible" - (not poisonous), but extremely bitter. The meaning of the word Marah, Wikipedia tells me, means bitter in Hebrew.

8. Ron B

I know the plant, have seen it many times in this area. While more typical of rich valleys farther from the Sound there are a few places where it grows on brushy hillsides in Seattle and on Vashon.

9. mywan

mywan Active Member

10. Ron B

We don't have that here.

11. FarmGirl12

FarmGirl12 New Member

I noticed this invasive vine here on Vashon the other day -- and looked it up. To my dismay, it is a severely invasive vine that has been reported in many states! All are part of the Marah genus. Fragrant flowers, though. Maybe in a pot?
    "Feed me, Seymour!"
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrcpAe9E9KxteYIDcWWz1uIxOUAAAPzoKzxD8tAgy7aInSULMl.jpg

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm, which vine? Marah? Marah oreganus is a native species. And I don't think it would survive in a pot for very long, since I believe it to be the largest-rooted non-woody native species.