Spider Plant cuttings

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by susanmorris, May 22, 2008.

1. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

At what point are the new roots established enough to plant in a pot?

I have a couple cuttings in water at the moment, and the roots are approx 2.5 inches long, is it time to pot it?

2. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Yes.
    I pot all rooted cuttings when they've grown at least 1 inch. Sounds like you're off to a vigorous start. What they need now is soil. Don't pot in an overlarge pot. It might lead to overwatering and rot.

3. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Actually, the adventitious rosettes on the floral stems of Chlorophytum comosum, the so-called "Spider Plant" are better called plantlets rather than cuttings. The plantlets are small versions of the parent plant complete with leaf rosettes and roots.

When the plantlets are large enough to have clusters of root spurs, they can be simply potted up as one would divisions of the parent plant.

They don't need to be placed in water. They can be potted up in soil that is kept continuously moist (not wet) until new leaves appear.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they're definitely ready for soil!! and, yes, use a small container - spider plants do better when they are a bit on the root-bound side...and, as flaxe said, you definitely don't want to end up overwatering them in a container that's too big!!

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I usually will cut off and pot up several babies at a time with less than an inch of root system in one small 2.5"-3" pot skipping the water routine. Although they will root in soil without any roots visible too, but it's a better start for them to have some little ones coming.
    Like Jaclyn said, don't use too big of a pot with all that extra soil. the soil will stay too wet for too long and the roots could rot.Give the babies/plantlets good indirect and/or dapple sun. Water and let dry like you would the mother. They will grow fast!

6. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

Thanks for the input everyone...they are going into a pot tonight!

7. greenthumb95

greenthumb95 Active Member

Hi,what i like to do with spider plant babies is to pot the baby plant with the stem to the mother plant still attached.This helps reduce the stress on the baby plant.I cut the stem after about 2 weeks so the baby plant gets a good start.