Spider Mites! HELP!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mr Greenthumb, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

okay well, I have a serious problem. My garden has fallen victim to one mean group of spider mites. I have tried several "home" remedies for them to no avail. I refuse to use a chemical as I would like to stay completely organic. I just released 1500 lady bugs in to the garden under some bug net but they just seem to all be going away! I have already lost one of my favorite Jalapeno plants and to the looks of it my only large American Sambucus is about to go as well! so I am all ears, if u got any organic ways of getting rid of these let me know. I also would like to know if any one has had a success with just using lady bugs. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Safer's Insecticidal Soap! There's no chemical involved there, and it kills kills kills the mites. You can also remediate by raising the humidity in your growing area (if that's possible) or by keeping the leaves wet. And finally, fuller's earth (diatomaceous earth), although normally sold as a remedy for ants, is very good against mites as well - just wear a mask so that you don't breathe it in, because it's quite sharp.

I've never had luck against spider mites using Lady Bugs - they're more aphid-specific, but Big-Eye Bugs (Geocorus spp.) on the other hand are absolutely voracious with mites and eliminated my problem quite quickly.

3. Mr Greenthumb

Mr Greenthumb Member

i will have to go down to the gardening supply store tomorrow and see if they carry any of those products, I am starting to get discouraged!

4. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

Try soapy water. They will let go to wipe their eyes and fall down, breaking their little neck!

5. srryan1

srryan1 Member