Spider Bonnie

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bluewing, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever get any babies from this type of spider? (curly spider) I'd really like to see some little ones!

I have had this plant for 6-7 years or so, and no babies! Ever! It started out as 5 baby plantlets to what you see now.
    The last time it was re-potted was last year because being pot-bound didn't help at all.
    All it does is grow bigger.

Attached Files:

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I recently purchased one of these babies, but haven't been successful at making it root :(

I really like this plant, wish I could have one.

So, to answer your question, they do make babies, but I haven't had one myself. From my understanding, they need to store enough nutrients in order to make more babies. So continue to fertilize it, and water it, and hope for the best!

Edit:: What direction does that window face? It takes water, nutrients and sun light for plants to photosynthesize the carbohydrates required. Maybe you could move it to a sunnier spot?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120336711686&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

3. Bluewing

Hi Laticauda,

Thank you for the link!

Ahhh, that gave me hope! Now I know it's not totally impossible to get some babies from this plant! It seems to be more stubborn then the average spider plant as far as babies are concerned...

It's hanging in a west window where it gets bright light most of the day and some direct sun later in the afternoon, but maybe that's not enough, and it should be brought outside for the summer so it can get even brighter light without burning the leaves. I'm willing to try and see what happens.

The babies were all un-rooted. I think I had 6 or 7 plantlets, rooted them all in a small 3" clay pot and put it in a west window, they rooted in about 10 days I think. But I did Lose one or two other ones.

If "curly" decides to cooperate and have a few babies, I would glady send one your way:)

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Would you try the unthinkable, and divide the mother plant, and start propagating spidey in this manner?
    I have experimented with transplanting the new shoots in the garden, and by winter I bring them in, and fronds become thick, luscious and curly, only to be hidden by new slim fronds over the winter. I wish I could send you a picure but my iMac isn't compatible with the site.

5. Bluewing

K Baron,

Are you doing the garden thing with Bonnie? "Fronds" makes me think of ferns and palms:)
    Too bad you can't post a photo, would love to see the end result! That might be a good alliterative if nothing happens the other way. I'll definitely keep what you are doing in mind...
    I don't think I want to divide the plant, at least not yet anyway. I'm hoping an outdoor summer vacation will help get some of those babies flying!

6. K Baron

I have hopefully attached two photos.. notice the curly fronds(sword leaves) on the up close Spider...The mamma has always produced nonstop! Oh dear, the curly leaf is a tad blurred...

Attached Files:

7. K Baron

Here's a better curly pix.

Attached Files:

8. Bluewing

Look at all those babies! I hope that can happen to mine! Even though "Bonnie" is in a west window, there are a couple of trees blocking some of the light, but some direct sun does come through.
    I'll first try hanging it out back where it will get some good morning light and see if that does anything.
    When the all green spider was out back, that thing grew like crazy!

Thanks for posting the photos! If all else fails, I'll have to try that.