Appreciation: Spectacular New? Japanese Maple Variety - Clarabelle

Discussion in 'Maples' started by tifferstreasure, Mar 25, 2011.

1. tifferstreasure

tifferstreasure Member

I just discovered (and bought - guilty as charged) a new-to-me variety of Japanese Maple. Labeled 'Clarabelle,' this lady is a stunner! It seems to be pushing brilliant new Spring foliage. It is sort of like 'Orange Dream' or 'Katsura' but seemingly more brilliant than some Katsura I have seen. Interestingly, the leaves unfold almost like an umbrella from a somewhat horizontal position, which gives sort of a windblown appearance. The newest bark has a strong warm red tint to it which is striking on close inspection. Has anybody heard of the origin of this cultivar? I plan on posting more pictures as the season progresses, but welcome help in siting it, as we have ferociously hot Summer temperatures here in Nashville. I will be sharing other pictures of 'Burgundy Jewel.' Thanks for the help and interest - Japanese Maples are my passion! John S.

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I would say that, to me and from the photo shown, what makes this cultivar different from the other spring yellows is the wind blown appearance, Matsuyoi-like.

Gomero

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

John, I'm just down the road from you in Dickson. Welcome!

4. MamKittee

MamKittee Member

That is so beautiful!