Rhododendrons: Specificly Seeking a Red Rhododenron...

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Laughing Dog, May 17, 2007.

1. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

We are planting a large West Coast styled garden in our front yard and, among other things, it includes three dogwood tree varieties; numerous rhododendrons, azaleas and camellias; and a broad variety of shrubs that have spring or summer blooms (such as spirea, weigela and daphne). Our colour scheme is oriented towards pinks and white, as we plan to have a wall of New Dawn roses and a BlushingBride Hydrangea for a backdrop. With that in mind, we also wanted to add some "shock" via a bright colour for contrast - and feel a deep red would be most appropriate.

We are attempting to select the rhododenrons for their size and bloom time in order to provide suitable contrast. At present we are searching for two matching large rhododenrons with dark, deep red blooms which preferably come out in July or August? Leaf structure is important (prefer a smaller, rounded leaf overall) and we do not like a leggy appearance, so a nicely rounded and "full" appearance is critical.

Suggestions, especially with a picture if possible, would be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't know of any reds that flower that late, doubt you will have much success finding any. Few rhododendrons of any color flower at that time.

3. Laughing Dog

Any recommendations for a deep red rhododenron in general? We would prefer a late bloomer, but open to any suggestion on a red rhodo with a rich, deep colour and nice leaf structure...

Thanks

4. Ron B

'Trilby'.

5. Laughing Dog

I checked out the Trilby, photo below, and it certainly seems to meet our criteria. Thanks, much appreciated...

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

I think Oregon State has the wrong plant in that picture. This is 'Trilby'.

http://www.rhododendron.org/image.a...mages/db/Trilby.jpg&Credit=Loyd Newcomb&H_S=H

"Beautiful trusses are deep crimson with black marking. Matte green leaves are set off by red stems to beautify the plant even when it is not in flower. It is sun tolerant."

--Harold E. Greer, GREER'S GUIDEBOOK TO AVAILABLE RHODODENDRONS

If I saw the Oregon State plant in person I might think differently, I can certainly see some features in their picture(s) of it that fit and others that do not. The cultivar has been around since before 1930 so there has been plenty of time for more than one clone to have been put on the market under the same name. (I think I may even have seen similar plants elsewhere and wondered about them). And it seems some rhododendron hybrids have pretty much started right out as multiple similar seedlings given the same cultivar name.

7. Laughing Dog

Thanks Ron, I will be sure to double check with our local Rhododendron Society on this one - they have an upcoming 'open house' which my wife and I are planning to attend. They apparently display a lot of varieties ... both old and new. Should be a lot of fun - the Trilby in your image has a beautiful red, until our dogwood grows a bit larger it will be getting a fair bit of sunlight so hopefully that does not fade the colour too much.

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

May find 'Ruby Hart'- dark waxy flowers, compact, good foliage. and 'Malahat'- blood red, interesting, if 'Trilby' not available, and blooming near the same time as native dogwoods. 'Grace Seabrook', 'Halfdan Lem', 'Taurus', and 'The Honourable Jean Marie de Montague' are also good reds and plants, earlier blooming though.

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  9. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Johnny Bender is a fairly late blooming deep red, and has good dark green foliage. (By late blooming, I mean mid-late May). The latest blooming rhodies I am familiar with bloom in June, and are all white flowered.

10. Laughing Dog

We went to our local garden center / nursery today and explored all our available options for a red rhododendron. Almost all the options mentioned in this thread where available, and all equally nice ... there are truly so many varieties out there that it is tough to choose.

We ended up with two Vulcan's Flame - mainly because there were two wonderfully rounded, large specimens available and also because they tend to tolerate a bit more sun and heat ... which is a consideration for our proposed location.

We also decided we had room for a couple more medium to large rhodos, and picked up a pair of Anah Kruschke ... a little off our planned colour scheme, but we loved the deep purple flowers and rounded habit. Plus this one also tolerates a bit more heat and sun.

Attached Files:

11. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

JeanMarie Montague is a beautiful deep red

Attached Files:

12. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

"there are truly so many varieties out there that it is tough to chose". Yes, nice to see the colour, truss shape, etc. before purchasing. Your choices seem to have good ratings from rhodo people.

13. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

A good resource when you want to see blooming times is the American Rhodo Society (ARS) site at http://www.rhododendron.org/

Click on their plant search engine and you can select bloom time.

It indicates that Independence Day, Oklahoma, Pearce's American Beauty, Summer Glow and Summer Rose are all late reds.

I'd add R. facetum to those as a late bloomer, very attractive in terms of the indumentum as well. See
    http://www.rsf.citymax.com/catalog/item/1218860/774489.htm

14. Laughing Dog

Thanks Bill, good information. I am in the process of moving to Qualicum Beach here on Vancouver Island and face a slightly different problem in that I now have slightly more sunshine and much less shade. I will not be doing much with my gardening at the new place until the fall, and then plan introduce a landscape design in the spring...but I will now be looking for rhodos such as Anah Kruschke, which are a bit more heat tolerant.

Also, roses seem to be doing wonderfully well in this particular area... so essentially my wife and I need to explore our neighbourhood and make a plant list of the varieties we really like and which appear to thrive in the Qualicum Beach region. We notice there is a very different soil composition as well...

15. grif

grif Member

If I were looking for yet another Rhododendron, I would check the superb public gardens in Vancouver (name escapes me), and I'd get an illustrated catalog from Whitney Gardens, Box 170 Brinnon, WA 98320 (on the Hood Canal along Rte 101), email to: info@whitneygardens.com. Their plants are far superior to the junk that the big-box stores sell. May is the month see most Rhododendrons in bloom!

16. Laughing Dog

Thanks grif - we were planning a trip to WA in June. Always nice to know of a few places to drop by for a looksee ... especially if plants are involved :-)

Much appreciated

17. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

If it was on top of a hill overlooking the city, you got in for free and several couples got married, while you were there, then it was most likely Queen Elizabeth Park. If you had to enter through a souvenir shop cum restaurant complex and pay admission, then it was Van Dusen Gardens. Those are together with Stanley Park the most prominent ones in Vancouver proper. There are of course a few more smaller ones.