General: Spearmint

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by mintyfresh, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Member

Hey there, I'm new.

I usually fill my room with palms, fruit trees and bamboos, but recently I decided to branch out into herbs.

I'm growing some spearmint and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on growing spearmint. I have read the basics and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or extra tips.

In particular, I would like to know the best time to clip the leaves and dry them.

2. mctc

mctc Member

I have found it quite easy to grow and clip it back as needed. I use it fresh I don't know a perticualr good time to harvest. I would recomend cutting back a ways when you do so it branches below where you cut.

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

the best time to harvest any kind of mint to dry for tea is just before flowering; the volatile oils are highest then, and therefore the scent will be strongest. I grow peppermint and spearmint in the garden, and some in pots. Yes they spread but I love having lots of mint around for tea. You can chop off as much as you want of the plant; once it gets established, you can't really hurt it. it's quite hard to get rid of in the garden, which is why some people only grow it in pots. A piece will root easily in water if you want to start more plants. I'll add that you can snip off leaves any time at all... I do all the time to use fresh, but if you're looking to do a harvest and dry it, wait until you see the flowers trying to form before doing a big cut.

4. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Member

Thanks, this is all a big help!

5. marianrose

marianrose New Member

Where did you get your start from? I have been looking for spearmint, but haven't found where to get it. The only one was 200 seeds. I am in Alberta.