Southern Magnolia Trees

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by jthomas, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jthomas

jthomas Member

I live in Northeast Texas and have a magnolia tree that is about 49 years old. Three years ago we were in drought conditions with no watering. My tree began to loose its leaves, more than normal. Now there are some green leaves, it did bloom this year, but there is a lot of dead branches in the tree. I considered pruning the tree back since there was some new growth this year. We called someone to come look at it (2 people actually) and both said that the tree needed to be taken down. One said that the tree was dying from old age. I love this tree and want to give it every chance to make a come back. It is a huge part of my front yard landscape and it makes me sick to think that I will have to cut it down. I've tried looking at different websites to find out something and have gotten no help. PLEASE, I need advice. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like what it needs or needed is watering. 49 years is nothing for most trees, including southern magnolia.

3. jthomas

jthomas Member

I couldn't water at the time, because of a drought. Our lake was dry and our town switched to well water, but it was very restricted, no outside watering at all. We now water it. Do you think cutting it back is an option. There are dead limbs throughout and it looks horrible. I just don't know what to do with it and, like I said, the two people who have been out to look at it both suggested getting rid of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No point in keeping dead branches. I wouldn't cut away live ones, except where there was a little tuft of live growth out on the end of a big bare mostly dead section. If there isn't a thick layer of litter or groundcover planting around the tree getting some wood chips and covering much of the rooting area of the tree with those would help conserve soil moisture, by preventing the sun from beating directly on the soil.

5. jthomas

jthomas Member

Thank you. I think that is what I am going to try. If it doesn't survive then they can come back next year and take it down, but at least I know I've tried, right? Thanks again.