Sourcing question

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by GlenJ, Sep 21, 2010.

1. GlenJ

GlenJ Member

So far everything i am reading will help me when I get a pod to start growing a money tree. My questuion is where do I get a pd to start all of this?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Money tree can refer to a few different plants, but I assume you are looking for Pachira aquatica. Try an internet search to see if this is the right plant. I don't know about finding a pod, but this plant is quite commonly offered for sale at nurseries, plant shops, department stores--I often see them at grocery stores. If not available in your area you should be able to find a source to order live plants or seed online.

3. GlenJ

GlenJ Member

Re: growing a monkey tree from seed

When I was visiting some friends in Oregon The showed me this tree. They called it a Monkey Tree. After looking in different sites what I saw and what I see for pics are no where near what I am looking for. The tree they showe me had long branches that where far and in between, and looked like a pine tree in shape. The branches where made up of thickly green shaped triangles. Do you know what I am looking for? If you want me to explain more on whatI saw please let me know and I'll try my best. Thank you

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Check out Monkey Puzzle tree, Araucaria araucana, in a search engine or Wikipedia. It's commonly grown in the Pacific Northwest but not likely to survive in MN.