SOS Mass Cane Help!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by TechTim, Apr 22, 2020.

1. TechTim

TechTim New Member

Anyone know what I can do to help or revive my mass cane plant? We’ve had it for about a year and it has slowly seemed to be dying. We’ve tried placing it in different locations throughout our home. We’ve kept it watered, let it dry out a bit. Misted its leafs and I’ve used some indoor plant food that mixes with water. We’ve tried placing outside on our porch also. Nothing seems to help. The other day all the leaves appeared brown, black and dead. So I cut them off or back. The stalks appear stiff and look heathy to me. There are no soft spots.

The pictures are what it looks like today. Is it a lost cause or is there hope? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Does the pot have drain holes? If not, the most likely problem is excessive soil moisture. Dracaenas can tolerate dry soil but not wet. I suspect that the fertilizer also made things worse. I've had a D. marginata growing for at least 5 years with no fertilizer added, and it still grows too fast for my liking. Check the roots. If a substantial number are still healthy, repot in something with drainage holes; and new shoots may grow from the main stalks. Remove all of the dead tops.

3. TechTim

TechTim New Member

So I took the plant out of the pot. The soil was really wet but the roots all looked in really good shape. The pot I had had one small whole in the bottom for drainage so I added a couple more. I used new dry potting soil at the bottom of the pot and replaced the plant. I cut off all the dead tops and now I just have two stalks. Will give it a few weeks and pray I see new growth. Thanks for the advise, appreciate it.