Sorghum and triticale

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Moes grows, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Moes grows

Moes grows New Member

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but I was just curious if anyone has experience growing triticale and sorghum for human consumption? I tried searching previous posts but they mostly regard identification. I'm curious about identifying ergot in both(more sorghum) since all the pictures and info I can find readily on google has to do with wheat and rye(which helps with the triticale) but I've found it hard to find any pictures or more then basic info on sorghum for human consumption. Anyways if anyone has some insights or a good source for me to read I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Morgan

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Hi!
    Triticale is grown here in relatively minor scale compared to the wheat and rye, but some research is also done and several sites have information about growing triticale. Unfortunately most of this information is in Estonian, but if you are looking for pictures, then they are in international language:
    tritikale - Google Search

They say:
    At first triticale was grown as a forage crop, and modern varieties are also grown for human consumption for a variety of bakery products. Triticale protein is similar in composition to rye protein. The triticale grain is of smaller quantity and of lower quality than wheat grain; it is possible to use it mixed with wheat flour (up to 40% triticale flour) and loaves made from such blend are of acceptable quality both in volume and in content. Triticale flour can be used in the food industry for making noodles, cookies and porridge. The use of triticale meal in food is highly recommended because its portein contains more essential amino acids than wheat protein.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019