Sometimes I rather dislike Michigan weather.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by markinwestmich, Apr 5, 2007.

1. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

It is April 5th, 2007. It is about 30*F/-1*C...and that is without the howling winds and "sideways" snow.

Last week, it was 60-70*F, flowers were in bloom, trees budded out, people were mowing lawns, children in shorts and/or short-sleeve shirts, mosquitoes were out, and the frogs were chirping/croaking in the wetlands. I thought Spring was here finally.

My plants and I are all horribly disappointed and confused with the latest turn in the weather.

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow. Those last bits of winter can be pretty tough to accept. We've had cold nights here the past week (even a bit of snow a couple days ago) - it hasn't killed anything that I know of, but it has meant no fresh air at night while sleeping - too cold.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

This sort of thing happens all over . . . checking back through my old diaries, found a note about 10cm of snow (20 April) and -5°C (26 April) in two different years.

Then there was the occasion a bit longer ago when we had a centimetre of snow lying on 2 June.

This is on the zone 8/9 border.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I hear you, gentlemen. And Okanagan weather...minus -5 C yesterday morning.

Pic 1: Had to water the fenceline pines when--for the first time in 30 years--the wind changed direction (for that time of day), and glowing embers were landing on the pines...from Pic 2 (burning of an old, old Lombardy Poplar).

Pic 3: Ficus benjamina, wrapped against cold.

If this is global warming, I need to buy another pair of longjohns!

Attached Files: