something is eating this Mountain Ash

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by coast, Sep 1, 2019.

1. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

I have two native mountain ash trees that up until this year would produce a ton of berries. This year there were no berries and worse still the limbs are being reduced to skeletons - no leaves just the stems.

Here is a pic with the affected areas highlighted in red. What could be causing this? They've been getting regular water.

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Did you see some mountain ash sawfly larvae there? They could be the culprit of the damage.
    Mountain ashes don't have plentiful berries each year. It is rather usual, that some years they bear almost no fruits at all.
    I think, I see leaves from your photo, not limbs only, but the blades of the leaflets are eaten completely, only midribs have remained.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    coast likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A friend has the sawfly appearing and doing this damage every year. So you may likewise be stuck with them unless you identify a control method.

coast likes this.
  4. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have them at UBC BG, can see an affected plant as one walks out the admin office door.