Some of my Favourites

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Chungii V, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I was sorting through some recent photos and thought I'd share a few of my favourites..
    1- Cordyline banksii
    2- Drimiopsis maculata inflorescence.
    3- My main foe in the garden :{
    4- Aechmea fasciata just after mist watering.
    5- Monolepta australis not so bad on it's own but highly damaging in swarms.
    6- Anthurium 'Amethyst'; love the colour.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cordyline baueri? Actually your plant looks like a variegated phormium.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

and a couple more.. hope you enjoy :}
    1- Agave ocahui var ocahui
    2- still unknown bug leaving it's old skin behind. Not the clearest photo but I like the silhouette against the overcast sky.
    3- Gymnocalcium sp. in flower
    4- My one and only rose 'Chameleon' it's actually a miniature.

Attached Files:

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Phormium die badly here, it's actually Cordyline banksii (don't know where bakerii came from sorry! I must have mis-written it somewhere along the line..) Cordyline baueri suffers badly from the humidity here too. I have had this plant 2 and a half years now and it's lasted 2 years more than I expected. It's a newer release variety (2 and a half years to be precise:}). Common name 'Electric Pink' or 'Sprilecpink' the pbr name.
    I'll go back and change the original post: Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they're all lovely...i absolutely LOVE that anthurium!! where did you get that??? i wonder if i'd be able to locate a seller here?

6. RICHARD MASSON

RICHARD MASSON Active Member

Great pictures especially the Anthurium 'Amethyst'
    Richard Masson

7. Ron B

There's a few Cordyline banksii in local plantings with similar narrowing leaf bases. A couple at the Carl English Botanical Graden, Seattle were starting to make short little trunks awhile back.

>Common name 'Electric Pink' or 'Sprilecpink' the pbr name<

If this is sold under a trademark or registered trademark - as would usually be the case when there is a modern composite cultivar name such as 'Sprilecpink' - then Electric Pink would be likely to be that name. In which case Electric Pink (without quotes) would be liable to be the trademarked name or registered trademark - the selling name as it would be called by the RHS. It would not be a common name, like "cabbage palm".

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I was quoting as written on tag this time, 'Electric Pink' is the cultivar name. PBR is Plant Breeders rights (equivilant to a copyrighted name) - I am not sure but it's more a code than actual name. Here is another example: Dianella 'Cassa Blue' PBR 'DBB03' I have always seen it written this way with single quotes on both the cultivar name and then the PBR name also?

9. Ron B

As presented here the PBR refers to the Cassa Blue which should not be in quotes if a trademark or registered trademark. Presumably the 'DBB03' is the cultivar.

Later: The introducer is presenting the plant with PBR designation following the cultivar name rather than the trademark.

http://www.ozbreed.com.au/cassa-blue.html

This would be consistent with the partially analagous United States Plant Patent being assigned to cultivars rather than selling names (trademarks or registered trademarks).

Putting the PBR after the selling name instead implies attachment of the PBR to the selling name instead of the cultivar. Patented plants also may be presented in this way (Plantus magnificus Wowser PP 99999 = 'Maykbuks') as well, even though again the patent applies to the cultivar rather than the selling name.

I don't have it in front of me here but I think the 2002 Hillier's manual puts the PBR after both, but with the cultivar name in parentheses which to me again implies it goes with the selling name:

Plantus magnificus Wowser ('Maykbuks') PBR

This computer is using a non-updated browser so I can't check the RHS web site but if I recall correctly they are doing something like

Plantus magnificus Wowser PBR = 'Maykbuks'

which is the same format as the first example but with PBR in place of PP 9999.

The selling name is a device used to sell the plant. The cultivar name refers to the plant. The cultivar is the patented invention or product of plant breeding that gets the plant patent (PP) number or PBR. Appealing selling names in combination with unpronouncable, uninteresting or even ugly cultivar names is an attempt to favor the interests of the party coining the selling name.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  10. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I am only going off what I have seen in trade lists, hort. mags and the actual tags on plants. The other ways I have sometimes seen it written would be like this for example*:
    Dianella 'Cassa Blue' PBR ['DBB03'],
    Dianella 'Cassa Blue' (R) 'DBB03' (PBR),
    Dianella Cassa Blue (R) 'DBB03'
    where (R) is a registered trademark so going off what you suggest the last would be the correct way, Yes?
    I still find Dianella 'Cassa Blue' PBR 'DBB03' the most common way it's written, makes it hard to get it right when plants are being labelled and sold this way by the grower. I still have serious issues with printed tags and why they are so innaccurate, it's bad for the customer and the salesperson alike. People tend to take what's on a tag for granted and if you try explaining something you get comments like my previous "The tag said so":} It's not just the name, sizes and care, positioning all that can be, at times, way off. I'm sure if you bought a car and it turned out to be a bus you'd be concerned, yet there's nothing controlling this (here at least).
    *NOTE:(I am refering to all newer releases just using the Dianella as example)

11. Ron B

At the above link we see the introducer is claiming the registered trademark Cassa Blue for selling the cultivar 'DBB03'. So, the enclosing of Cassa Blue in single quotes is a mistake.

12. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thanks for yet another lesson in plant grammar:}
    I just did some potting out back and found a few landscapers Cassa Blue pots. They have stickers on them correctly quoted as 'DBB03' but the bright colourful push in tag (the selling point in the retail side) has the Cassa Blue in single quotes.. perhaps it's the label printers that have the most to answer for.