Some Evergreen Troubles

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Dr. Green Thumb, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Hello,

My should-be-green and should-be-blue friends are not their should-be colors! Please help me spot any potentially life and/or happiness threatening factors that you might see.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most of it is normal winter bronzing - many conifers reduce the prominence of their chloroplasts in winter, as a protection mechanism against desiccating cold dry weather. They'll colour up again in spring. The one bit that might be worse is the low foliage in pic #3, where the leaves have fallen, suggesting the shoots there might be dead. The position of the damage (low down, beside a path), and the colour of the adjacent snow (distinctly yellow-toned!), hints at K9P damage . . .

3. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Excellent, thank you Michael!

4. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member

Michael, I noticed today that the purpling of my blue spruce is only on the sunny side of the tree. Is it possibly getting too much sunlight or not enough water?

Thanks again.

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The Sun is most likely the culprit. Conifers are sensitive to the sun, when the ground is frozen or very cold. They can't take water from the ground to compensate evaporation from the sun exposed crown.
    To protect, use shading cloths or other sun blocking measures, until the ground warms up.

Dr. Green Thumb likes this.
  6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

7. Dr. Green Thumb

Dr. Green Thumb Member