Soil Testing for Poison?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Eric La Fountaine, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was sent in via email:

Hello, not sure if I am writing to the correct department; however, I have a problem on my hands. I have over 70 cedar hedges that for the most part are doing exceptionally well after 2 years of being planted. I have been told by the original planting people that the same high grade quality of soil was used throughout the planting process. But 20 of these hedges along the property line, have not grown at all and are beginning to show signs of dead foliage at the tips, almost seems they are completely dorment. I believe poison to be the culprit because the home owner informed me that the next door neighbor had a serious fit about the hedges being planted, even though they were clearly on the right side of the property line. So basically I was wondering if you guys do soil testing, this way I can commence properly in solving the problem.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I use Norwest labs in Langley for all my soil testing, give them a try and see if they can help you.

http://www.norwestlabs.com

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

heres a couple more things you might want to check

1 Check to see if the moistuure content around these trees
    are comparable to the healthy ones.

2 Check at the base of trees to make sure that the burlap
    root sacks where cut and opened around the trunks. If not opened the trees maybe strangling themselves.

3 In early morning or evening give the trees a vigorous
    shake and see what if anything flies out. (might be a white fly) Also when you do this shake a branch over a white piece of paper (I use a lid from a white plastic bucket) See
    if there is red dust that falls out and then dissapears. If this is the case then it maybe mites.

4 Are these trees beside or in between drive ways? Do the trees look dirty . If this is the case you might try washing them with a foliar ferilizer (several brands out there your
    choice) but add into it 3 table spoons of anti bacterial soap
    (liquid hand/dish soap) and 1/4 cup af antibacterial mouthwash. Spay every 10 days for a month.

NOTE THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT FOR ANY PRODUCT
    OR PROCEDURE IT IS JUST WHAT I HAVE USED FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS WITH SUCCESS.

Regards Doug M