Soil requirements for Japanese Umbrella Pine

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by slettahaug, Aug 1, 2013.

1. slettahaug

slettahaug Member

I want to plant a Japanese Umbrella Pine, south facing aspect, close to a fence. How deep should it go, what typeof soil/drainage does it need?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seen growing in a variety of situations. But not a small shrub, if you plant it near a fence it will end up on top of it.

3. slettahaug

slettahaug Member

Hey Ron, thanks for the advice...was told it was slow growing, so I won't worry about it! thanks again

4. Ron B

I've had two different plantings here grow about 1' per year after establishment. For a tree, that is slow-growing.

5. wbgarden

wbgarden Member

6. Ron B

Presumably the question was about Sciadopitys.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's not a pine.

8. Ron B

Irrelevant.

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I have a Japanese Umbrella Pine or Sciadopitys verticillata growing in a mix of composted peat and pine bark chips. I also mix some haydite into my soils mix to improve drainage. I have a lot of clay in the native soil, so none of my landscape is planted deep. They tend to like good drainage. They are considered a fossil tree much like Ginkgo biloba, which I think is very cool. The foliage and growth habit is very interesting, which brings it a lot of attention by visitors to my garden.

Mine is slow growing, only putting on about 4" of new growth a year. Mine is a little over 2' high and 1' wide, grown locally. But as Ron B warns, I have seen some older Japanese Umbrella Pines at local nurseries that were 7' tall growing as a very wide pyramid form. These come from Oregon, where 1' a year is common as Ron B mentions. I have seen locally grown Japanese Umbrella Pine just as big, it just takes much longer to get there (about 2 to 3x slower than the US PNW growth rate).

Here is a link to youtube where the American Conifer Society discusses the Japanese Umbrella Pine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwoTPuidHio