soil problem

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by teresa, Aug 25, 2015.

1. teresa

teresa Active Member

I dug out some old crocosmia from a sunny, unirrigated spot where every year they were browning earlier and earlier....I thought due to sun and drought but see now that there was a soil problem that appears like light grey chalk in the soil? See photo.

I want to replant the area with miscanthus. Anyone know what this condition is and if I should be trying to treat the soil somehow before replanting?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      690.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I am not the best one to comment here except to say that I often see similar white (fungus?) in my soil too. I know it's not fertilizer salts so I always ignore it, assuming it's a benign component of dry soil. You should be careful not to assume that the fact the crocosmia browning has been caused by the white stuff in the soil; could just be coincidence. Crocosmia often brown early in hot, dry weather. My advice would be to do nothing to treat the soil except to irrigate well when you plant the miscanthus.

3. teresa

teresa Active Member

Thank you for the feedback Margot.