Soil pH

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Nik, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

I remember @AlainK asking me some time ago in another thread what is the pH of the soil in our yard. I still have not checked, but I found a very old (from 1981) geological survey of the nature preserve that borders our property, and our yard is included in their maps and descriptions.
    According to the survey “...this soil is very strongly acid through medium acid...”
    I guess that is why Japanese maples like it.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

You must be right.

"trees to plant...European larch" : or tamarack, or any species of larch if you have enough space. Here, the best species is Dunkleld larch, but there where you live, it could be different. Theyre so beautiful. It will compliment your maples. Soft green to blueish green in spring, shiny green in summer, golden to almost pink in autumn, small cones in winter, a deciduous conifer that won't deceive or disappoint you.

Plant a larch, plant three on the highest point in your garden...

カラマツ - Google Search

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I guess that is why Japanese maples like it.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes we happen across the right soil quite by accident and then over time we dig a hole and put a tree or plant in, then some flourish and some don't and we end up with either acid loving trees or alkaline loving trees.
    Now that's how it happened when I was young, but these days you can buy home soil testing kits and ensure no mistakes, or as you have found N a professional survey on the surrounding soil.
    Tbh I'm not sure that I would have wanted too much science all those years ago. Learning by trial and error seems to me to be what gardening is all about. But perhaps that's me being very old fashioned.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Nik, It's interesting that they don't put any numbers on it anywhere. "Very acidic" can mean quite a range, from the 5.5 which is about the highest we see anywhere here, to the 4.8 in many places, to the 3.8 down near the stream, where almost nothing will grow except bracken.

My point is that soil acidity varies quite a lot even over a small area.

I think it's a well established myth that JMs prefer very acid soil, they seem to thrive best in slightly acidic, but do well enough in neutral to somewhat above. Actually in our very acidic soil everything grows much more slowly than for most. They certainly can do fine in acid soil, of course. I'll bet they love the drainage and water availability part, though!

5. Acerholic

Just wondering if you have tested your soil in various locations in your garden N? Very good point by Emery.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

I agree, it is a very good point. I will get soil testing kit and check different areas of the yard. I will wait till spring, now everything is a bit frozen..

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @emery , I just measured the soil pH in several locations in the yard.
    Everywhere, between the granite rocks, along the stream, areas without rocks away from the stream, it is pH around 4.0. According to US Department of Agriculture (via Wikipedia), that is considered ‘extremely acidic’. I will continue measuring more areas... was a bit surprised by this finding.
    Anyway, maples seem to enjoy soil pH 4.0.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

I have been watching and waiting for your update N. That is really acidic. Maples are quite happy in neutral soil, but as can be seen by your trees, they obviously enjoy it very much; Especially seeing how well the seedlings take, then the theory of a more acidic soil for maples cannot be ignored.
    My soil after a lot of work over many years never goes below 6.5. I would rather have your problem, if indeed it is a problem.
    Correct plants for the right soil is always the order of the day, but we all do like to think we can beat nature.
    Great thread N.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I would be a bit skeptical of the accuracy of a home soil test kit especially when the results are so very low. I have read that Connecticut does have very acid soil but might be worthwhile to have a professional test done in lab?

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @Margot , I have full confidence in the kit I was using. I made sure it is the same as the one we use in the biochemistry lab I work at for quick and easy pH measurements. Definitely not a sophisticated pH meter, which we have at work, but quite reliable. Again, ‘confidence is high’.

11. Nik

Nik Contributor

This also explains why I can’t grow lavender in our yard.

12. Acerholic

As I keep my soil below 7 and we love lavender, pots come in very handy. The variety we grow is called 'Little Lottie'. It doesn't get too big at all. Quite nice to have on the patio or decking.
    Worth a try N !!?

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow @Nik, that is very acidic indeed. I guess you're really lucky with drainage, all those lovely rocks. What are growth rates like? I wonder if there are any heathers hardy enough to grow there.

I'm glad your JMs do well there. They love New England generally, as I was reminded in 2019 when we spent a week in the Boston burbs: the Dogwoods were in bloom and it seemed like every other yard had an enormous f. atropurpureum. Still, I wouldn't think most of NE is that acidic; I think 4 is very low for what JMs "prefer", which I believe is around a pH of 6. Part of my family comes from (and still lives) on the north Maine coast, among the blueberry farms, where I guess the pH might be that low. The soil drains like crazy, but gardening requires quite a bit of amendment.

Do you fertilize?

@AlainK the larch is showing some green in the buds now!

cheers, -E

14. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great!

15. Nik

Nik Contributor

I may give it try, D!

16. Nik

Nik Contributor

I fertilize only seedlings. Without it they grow very slowly, about 5-10 inches a year. With fertilizer it’s more like 10-30”. I use soil from the yard for all A.p. seeds/seedlings without any amendments.
    For my ‘grown up’ young trees, which do not receive any fertilizer, the growth rate is 10-20”/year, depending on the cultivar.
    (We do have wild blueberries in the yard, on top of the highest rocks. Because of the animals in the area I only manage to collect a handful every season.)

emery and AlainK like this.