Soil ph levels ??

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by susanmorris, Jun 22, 2008.

1. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

My Mother told me today that I can change the colour of the blooms on my peony and snowball bushes by pouring Coca-Cola into the soil in the spring! She also suggested placing a rusty nail or two into the soil before the blooms arrive.

I think she is crazy, but she may be making sense by way of changing the ph levels in the soil. Anyone else heard of this?

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Since its already summer, you will probably need to wait another year.

There are many superstitions about gardening. Some have a basis in fact and work while others don't.

You can't change the flower color of peonies but if by "snowball bushes", you mean Hydrangeas, pH does affect flower color for some cultivars.

Does it need to be Coca-Cola or will Pepsi, Dr. Pepper or any other brand name work too? Where are you supposed to get the rusty nails?

3. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

Hi Steve

Thank you for your response.

As for the type of pop, I suppose it wouldn't matter. The way my mother explained it, it would have something to do with the acid levels in it that would affect the soil.

As for a rusty nail, good point. Since they are all galvanized these days, it would be difficult to find a rusty one!

The reason I ask is that, she has a bush (with I thought was a snowball) in her garden with blooms that were bluish last year, but previous years were pale pink. I asked her how that happened and she explained that a friend of hers visited in the spring and poured a soda on to the soil to see if it would work. It hasn't begun to bloom yet this year, so we are anxiously waiting to see what will come!

Thanks again