Soil Mix for tomatoes and veggies

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Scott Henry, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Scott Henry

Scott Henry New Member

Hello All ,

I'm new here and appreciate all of your great dialog and knowledge, particularly in the where to find supplies for 5:1:1 and gritty mix potting mixes in Vancouver thread.

@Tom Hulse
    I have been using a high quality commercial potting spoil for my tomatoes and veggies and it has worked ok but I am looking to step it up and make my own soil mix. I have been considering the 5-1-1 mix mentioned above. However, the bark fines are extremely difficult to source here in Southern California so I am leaning toward something else. I am intrigued by your mix and wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing it. My primary goals are a better soil and ideally something that is cheaper than the bagged stuff.

For reference, I am in the Los Angeles area about 2 miles from the coast so it doesn't get too hot here, rarely above 80. My containers are 25-30 gl smart pots and I also plant in raised beds. We plant a wide variety of veggies but I am starting to focus on tomatoes and I am currently growing about 7 heirloom varieties, from cherries to San Marzano Redorta's.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020