Soil mix for Anthurium (watermaliense?)

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by kimberlyhope, Dec 17, 2009.

1. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

I just received a pretty little Anthurium which needs to be potted up asap. I'm hoping someone can prescribe a good soil mix for this plant.

Thanks!
    Kim

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Sure can! Go to my last post on this link and you'll find the mix used by the greenhouse keepers at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis. I grow lots of Anthurium species and have been using this mixture with great success for many years.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=58722

You may find the entire thread of value since it explains how species like the one you just acquired grow and should be watered.

You may find this article of value as well: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow or Growing Anthurium species.html

By the way, your species is from Central America and grows to be a large specimen if cared for properly. I first acquired a specimen directly from Costa Rica in 2005 and it is now quite large. The first photo shows the plant two years ago and it has grown substantially since then. The second photo is a newly opened inflorescence and the third is the same inflorescence once it is better developed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. kimberlyhope

Fantastic! Thanks so much.

That is quite the mix! I have about half of those ingredients already and will pick up the others tomorrow. I should be able to use this mix for my Philodendrons, Pothos, and Dieffenbachia, right? My Alocasia, too?

And as long as the pots have good drainage, I really don't have to worry about overwatering?

Your help is much appreciated! I hope to end up with a full, blooming plant :)

Kim

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I use the basic mix for all my aroids but modify it slightly based on the needs of the species. Some species prefer to be a bit dry and others need to stay much more moist but if you just keep the soil evenly moist the plants will flourish provided all the other growing conditions are good. Good drainage is the key!

Your plant will take two to three years to begin to produce inflorescences but our specimen produces them for several months during the summer. As a general rule you'll find it will enjoy bright yet indirect light.

5. kimberlyhope

Thanks! You've been extremely helpful!

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

steve knows his stuff!! and he always researches, VERY throroughly, before he says anything about anything...i've known him for years and he's never relayed incorrect info. his site is absolutely fantastic, too!! full of a ton of info - the CORRECT info - you'll find the various pages very informative!