Snow on the 'about to open buds'...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Atapi, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Good morning, today in the SouthEast (NC, VA, PA,...) we are experiencing the last winter push from our mother nature although we are officially in Spring. It called for 5 to 8" of wet snow began early this morning. I see most of the snow is sticking on the branches so far.
    Thus I would like to know is there anything we can do to help these JMs especially their buds which are about or just began to open?. Last year we had a one day freeze in late March where some my early bloomers like Katsura, Orange Dream, Beni Hime, Ueno Yama... had just opened their leaves and resulted with all burned leaves after the freeze and some of the small one could not even make it.
    Any advise is much appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

The snow insulates, so a wet snow is better than a snowless freeze. Frost blankets specifically Dewitt frost blanket is a great product for early Spring. It's very light weight, holds heat in, and still allows filtered light through. They were originally introduced to protect early season seeds in gardens. But they have a variety of uses. We also use them for winter protection of evergreen bonsai.

Buds (break and extending) usually stand up to snow as long as you don't actually have leaves open and exposed.

In the past I bought the 10'x12' from Zoro tools, store in dry space, and they last for many seasons. I see now Zoro has updated their listing to a new manufacturer, but price and size are the same:
    Westward Plant Protection Fabric, 10 x 12 ft. 31NG33 | Zoro.com

I recommend having some on hand so you can be proactive and prepared for such early season surprises. When you wait until the snow is falling it's usually too late to go shopping. If anything get one now for next year. I think anyone who grows Japanese maples should have some on hand.

Note:. I have no relationship with Zoro tools or the manufacturer. My recommendation is based on my personal experience and doing my homework as a consumer using a trusted vendor who happens to have the best price last time I bought the product. They also have the best price on my favorite tree wrap:
    Dewitt Tree Wrap, 3 In x 50 Ft G-TW3W | Zoro.com
    I usually buy both together and always have it on hand, because I think anyone who grows Japanese maples should, to be prepared for seasonal challenges.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thank you, JT.
    I am looking into the protection fabric for next year. Of course I hope this is it for the winter 2018 :).
    I did a quick overall look at the JMs this weekend and they all seem to be OK so far, luckily majority of their buds have yet opened due to the last two weeks cold weather which holding them back a bit. I will keep a closed eyes on them to see if there is any sign of pseudomonas symptom break out like Emery has warned me. Other than that I can't wait to enjoy their new Spring leaves.
    Once again thank you for your always great input, steven.