Snake Bark Maples from old Heronswood

Discussion in 'Maples' started by scross1, May 3, 2007.

1. scross1

scross1 Active Member

Hello,
    I came across this list of maples available from the old Heronswood before Burpee sunk its claws into it. It made me wonder what happened to these plants, who owns them, and is anyone propogating these anymore? I unfortunately missed the grand old days of Heronswood as I just began collecting a few years ago. Anyone have any information on these and the many other plants that were once available?

Acer capillipes HC 970726
    Acer caudatifolium BSWJ 3114
    Acer davidii DJHC 179
    Acer davidii EDHCH 97263
    Acer morifolium HC 970023
    Acer pectinatum ssp. maximowiczii
    Acer tschonoskii var. rubripes

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Some of these will surely be available elsewhere, offered by those who bought from Heronswood and have propagated their own examples, or have grown on same units bought from Hersonwood to sell later as larger plants. Here in the vicinity (the property is across Puget Sound from me) I see plants with their collection numbers off and on at other outlets. Searching the www may turn up a few of them. Future of any specimens that got planted out at Heronswood determined by what happens to the property.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Acer tschonoskii var. rubripes is synonymous with A. tschonoskii var koreanum, if that's any help. It and A. pectinatum ssp max. should be available, though of course they will have the same parent, necessarily.

In my experience it is unusual to put collection numbers on 2nd and 3rd generation grafts, so I don't see how you could easily find the exact trees...

-E

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All grafts beginning with the original are fragments (clones) of the original selection, unless there is a mutation. However, I would expect stock sold under collection numbers to be seedlings anyway - unless it was otherwise the case in a particular instance. Grafted selections made from seedlings grown under collection numbers should be given cultivar names to distinguish them.