Snails on my Jasmine Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Yo_Jo, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

We bought this potted Jasmine plant from Safeway 3 years ago and while rooting through the soil today my wife found tiny snails. We are really confused because this plant never leaves the windowsill - where did these snails come from and are they bad for plants?

A65443BD-6F3C-44D5-9C30-AC939E2D4866.jpeg 90185D12-D188-46D6-9649-3C8EC82BC3C8.jpeg 360C3A23-BA73-4B4F-8E58-BBC1E83DC032.jpeg A5D3A4BD-63D1-43F6-8869-48F31F10DB38.jpeg

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Have you changed the potting soil or added any soil? Snails usually arrive as eggs in the soil.

3. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

I asked the wife and she said no she was just fluffing up the soil and she was thinking about adding some more soil when she saw the snails. I guess they have been hibernating in the soil for a few years.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Yo_Jo, snails take 2 to 4 weeks to hatch after being laid. And yes they are bad for plants, they will munch away on the leaves unil it is bare.
    As long as you remove them and dispose in whatever way you are comfortable about doing, all will be fine.
    A regular check over the next month is essential to ensure all traces have been removed.
    As the plant is inside, you should not have anymore problems.

5. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

Thanks. I will keep an eye out for more snails but they do look kinda cute to keep as pets.

6. Acerholic

@Yo_Jo, a cute puppy sounds better !!!!!! Lol.
    I'm sure that no more snails will return, as long as you were thorough.

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Love this! I have never heard a more diplomatic way of saying, "Off with their heads!" But, of course, there are other ways to dispose of varmints. The preferred method of a friend of mine is to toss them into the neighbour's garden. :-(

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@Margot. LOL. Hope your friends neighbours don't read this Margot !!!!
    A new breed of flying snails in the area, now that's an excuse that could be used if your neighbours get caught !!!!

9. Yo_Jo

Yo_Jo Active Member

I actually felt really bad and I gently placed them on the side of the house where the morning glory and weeds are rampantly growing. I thought they might feed themselves and take care of my weeding problem at the same time.

10. Acerholic

@Yo_Jo, very nature friendly thing to do. I hope they don't repay you with eating any prized plants in your garden!!!