Smoke Bush/Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by CourtYard Gardener, Sep 25, 2006.

1. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

I just discovered that smoke bush/tree lasts a long time as a cut "green" in vases and bouquets. With its beautiful perfect purple leaves and its resistance to being eaten by bugs, I'm wondering why I haven't seen it being used in floral designs or trained into topiaries. I've just begun propagating 400 cuttings so I can grow my own (and trade & sell). Does anyone have any experience/advice/ideas on practical or creative uses of Smoke Bush beyond just letting it grow undisturbed?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

1. Does it take root and then live on after rooting at this time of the year?

2. Same genus as poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. Some people are sensitive to it.

3. CourtYard Gardener

CourtYard Gardener Member

We'll see...lots of other rooted cuttings make it through our Vancouver mild winters, so I'm hoping for success.

Can you clarify "being sensitive to it"? Do you mean getting a rash if they touch it?

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Smoke bush (Cotinus sp.) is actually in the same family (Anacardiaceae) as poison ivies, etc (Toxicodendron sp.). That same family also contains Sumac (Rhus sp.), Pistachio (Pistacia vera), Cashew (Anacardium occidentale), and the Mango (Mangifera sp.). If you are extremely sensitive to Toxicodendron species, then species from the other genus may provoke a reaction? Not everyone, mind you, reacts to Toxicodendron species....When I finally learned what Poison Ivy looked like in my late teens, I realized I had been romping through it for the previous 15 years.

Simon

5. donssite

donssite Member

Wow, I never realized smoketree was related to Poison Ivy, I've got several types, Royal Purple, Grace and two others unknown.

http://www.cotinus.net