Rhododendrons: smaller rhododenron "Dreamland"

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by janetdoyle, Dec 4, 2007.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    About 3-4 weeks ago I planted two small BC-grown rhododendrons, "Dreamland", from a reputable nursery, with lovely palest pink-to-deeper pink blooms, apparently, to come.

The plants look healthy, with buds, although were purchased small. They are only about 16 inches across and high at the moment, if that. I am curious if anyone has grown these. I am looking forward to their blooms. The tags state partial shade and that they grow to 4 feet, and are cold hardy to -10 F [would not reach that here in Victoria]. I am curious re rate of growth and time of bloom... and general vigour. They are in a southwest-facing well-irrigated front townhouse garden, amongst some heathers and other acid-loving small conifers, with some shade from nearby small trees. I presume I should fertilize them owing to the tree roots from a Japanese cherry, small conifers, hydrangea, and a 6-ft high healthy Japanese cedar or cypress, about 4 feet away and fairly substantial, shading them from the directly western sun from mid-afternoon onwards -- they'd get some noontime sun for a bit, although protected in late spring by a neigbour's dappled cherry tree-shade, and would be in shade all morning except for the earliest eastern rays coming through some trees and shrubbery on hte east side of the structure ...

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The 4 feet would be estimated height in 10 years from when they started growing - as rooted cuttings or soon after. You can get the rate each growth flush has been growing at on your particular specimens by looking at them. The distance from the whorl of leaves at the top of each section to the next whorl of leaves below is how far that flush grew. The basic mode is one flush per year, but when stimulated by cultural conditions there may be additional flushes in the same season. Later growth may be underdeveloped (partly formed), not as long as those made at normal time in spring, usually during/right after flowering.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

We have 'Dreamland' in our garden. It is a very prolific bloomer, and has a great, compact habit. Ours is probably older than 10 years, but just now approaching 4' high; it is a little wider than tall. In our rich silt loam soil, it has been able to take quite a bit of sun without stress. A good 'yak' hybrid; the new foliage has a silvery felting (indumentum) as it emerges.

Attached Files:

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Wow, that looks like a winner! Thanks so much, Ron and Silver_Creek. Just what I wanted to hear. The little ones I bought now are settled in as of Dec. 23rd, from purchase and planting about 1.5-2 months ago maybe, and are looking super-healthy and growing, the soft felty tips I did see on one and wondered if it was ok, now they are becoming more like the other tips. I had a good feeling about these, and the nursery is very good from where they were purchased. The size should be just right, whether or not I'll be around in 10 years' time. Ours won't get quite that much sun, but enough.