Small tree suggestions for tropical/mediterranean theme

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Chloris, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Chloris

Chloris Member

I'd like to plant a small tree/large shrub that could screen the neighbour's house and fit with my exotics theme. The pyrus salicifolia pendula (weeping willow leaf pear) is lovely, but I'm wondering if it can take north Vancouver's extended wet periods. I also like the albizia julibrissin but it seems quite tender. The potential planting spot gets afternoon sun, is in a raised bed with good soil in a sheltered position. Nearby is a katsura, palm and musa basjoo, flax grass, euphorbias, calla lilies and miscanthus. Any suggestions?(I entertained the idea of an evergreen magnolia grandiflora, but don't want to blot out the sun) I could play it safe and plant another windmill palm?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

For a Mediterranean theme, how about Stone Pine (Pinus pinea)? It might eventually get too large, but is slow-growing so would take a very long time to do so.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The pear can be seen at the VanDusen Botanical Display Garden, on Oak Street, for starters. The one in the rose garden above the pond there, across from the southern hemisphere garden may be the best specimen I have seen in the region so far.

Silk tree is not tender. Many examples throughout the area, commonly offered and planted.

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-Trees of merit.html

4. Chloris

Chloris Member

Thanks Ron. Perhaps the weeping willow leaf pear has longer season interest than the silk tree. Does the pear have any disease or pest problems related to excessive rain?