Small tough shiny opposite lime-coloured leaves with red margins

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Jul 2, 2021.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Another wiggly-leaved shrub. This looks pretty familiar, except for the cultivar with these nice red margins, which is a feature I happen to like a lot. It's at the same building with several other plants I have posted recently for ID - every time I go there, I see something new. I'm expecting to be embarrassed to not recognize the genus of this. The leaves are maybe 3 or 4 cm long.
    Wiggly-shiny-leaves-red-margins_Cypress1st_Cutler_20210630_162425.jpg Wiggly-shiny-leaves-red-margins_Cypress1st_Cutler_20210630_162436.jpg Wiggly-shiny-leaves-red-margins_Cypress1st_Cutler_20210630_162451.jpg

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Might it be Coprosma sp/named cultivar?

3. wcutler

Wow, I don't know this! I only have seen Coprosma as tiny tight ground covers.
    I see Coprosma repens posted here once, without red edges. I'm not linking to that, as it might not even have been right, but it gave me the name.

Coprosma repens | GardensOnline and other Australian pages show C. repens 'Karo Red', says zones 9-11, described elsewhere as tender. So it's either a good thing that I caught it now, or not such a good thing if next winter allows it to survive, though Mirror bush, Coprosma (Coprosma repens) 'Karo Red' says it's reasonably frost tolerant once established.

I wonder what I'm thinking of that makes this seem familiar.

Thanks, @Silver surfer.

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. wcutler

Thanks, I saw 'Pina Colada' photos, thought the leaves were more over-all coloured than this. I suppose I have to remember to visit it occasionally to see if the leaves will colour up more on the surface. I note that that cultivar is shown on a UK page. Brian Minter mentioned Coprosma repens in his gardening article in the Vancouver Sun four years ago: Brian Minter: Create patio envy with a 'thriller' this summer | Vancouver Sun. No photo though. He does say it's one of his favourite tender zone 8 or 9 exotics. I'm not finding any other mention of this species being available in Vancouver.

Here is a photo of the plant in context (the one at the very centre). It's not supposed to get more than twice this size.
    Coprosma repens_Cypress1st_Cutler_20210702_131312.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021