Small purple flower in Gulf Islands

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JohnHarvey, May 26, 2006.

1. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Hey!

I spotted this flower (or rather a field of them) on Bodega Ridge on Galiano Island. I have a tough time identifying small plants. Any suggestions appreciated!

John

Attached Files:

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

My immediate thought on seeing this bloom was Evening Primrose (Onethera Species). Looks a bit like our native version Clarkia amoena.

3. JohnHarvey

JohnHarvey Active Member

Thanks Gordo!

A bit of internet seaching has turned up Clarkia rubicunda which looks much more like my flower but I don't know if the range overlaps. Most of the cases of Clarkia amoena I've seen seem to have bright color splotches on the pedals and mine seem quite plain.

Thanks again for the pointer!

John

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Clarkia rubicunda is strictly Californian (and endemic to a relatively small area).

Clarkia amoena has a lot of variability in colour, ranging from "petals pink to rose-purple, red-spotted or -marked near centre, egg- to fan-shaped" according to the Illustrated Flora of BC account. I'd go with that.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

When trying to identify plants from pictures you must follow up with reading descriptions to confirm that plant that looks similar in photo really is the same one.