Small indoor palm with dry leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by paincone, Mar 10, 2020.

1. paincone

paincone New Member

My small relatively new indoor plant (I think it might be a bamboo palm?) has started going completely dry. It's been placed in the shade of a relatively well-lit room and hasn't received any direct sunlight. I've also been watering it often, usually 2 times a week. I've even begun spraying droplets of water on the leaves, but to no avail ... It doesn't seem to be getting any better. What can I do for my poor plant?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I've noted that small containers of Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens) and Parlor Palm (Chamaedorea elegans) are often crammed with many individual specimens, perhaps to make the container more lush with growth and thus more attractive for sale. I can't imagine it would be healthy for the individuals in the long run. Perhaps what is happening here is the weakest ones are dying off as there are a number of them that appear to be quite healthy. As for the watering, keep the soil moist but not wet and don't water on a schedule but rather as required to maintain the proper moisture level.

3. paincone

paincone New Member

That's a good point!
    I made an effort to prune out the dead plants and they simply let go out the roots, having white spots on the end ... That can't be healthy, maybe it's due to over-watering. I think I'll let the dirt dry out a bit more before watering it next time.
    Thank you for the advice!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Otherwise take a magnifier and check the foliage for mites, I see significant mite damage on indoor examples of parlor palm in my area very consistently.