slug control

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by shelldo, May 19, 2007.

1. shelldo

shelldo Member

Hi !

I have read somewhere that the most effective way of killing slugs was to use nematodes, that we do find here in France, but also that lack of snails and slugs meant that they disappeared altogether through sheer lack of food. I find this hard to believe since they reappear now and then gobbling up a snail they have done in. Do they hibernate slowing down their metabolism to a minimum ?

Has anyone actually tried caffeine, iron phosphate and compared the results in terms of efficiency ? I have been looking for an organic, environment friendly way of keeping slugs down. however apart from letting a bunch of bantams hens loose onto the garden whilst I was clearing the ground ready for seeding I have not found anything really successful. I am reluctant to use slug pellets ( methyl aldehyde ).

Kindly submit your suggestions, the slug population is particularly strong this year : Wettest spring for 34 years here in the Toulouse area.

2. Obe

Obe Member

We have an over-abundance of grubs in Ontario, Canada this year--I just recently purchased nematodes as well--will let you know my results!!

3. DarkStar

DarkStar Member

Set out some saucers filled with beer and the slugs are drawn to it and drink until there done

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Method I use is a sawdust ring around plants or wood ash and I think some use coffee grinds {grounds?]'
    Liz

5. RBGINVAN

RBGINVAN Member

After the first thaw I put out the peels from half grapefruit with the opening down. Slugs and snails are attracted and congregate underneath making them easy to capture and dispose of. Orange peels also work. I have found up to 20 slugs under one grapefruit peel and often pick up 100 in total on a good day. Fortunately the availability of good grapefruit coincides with the season when slugs are most abundant here in Vancouver.

Photo by Flora Gordon

Attached Files:

6. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Very good idea by RBGINVAN

7. Obe

Obe Member

Thanks for your post--I will certainly try your method if the nematodes fail!! Sorry in the delay in replying--my computer has been down!! Thanks again--Obe

8. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Another fruit that works well is melon such as cantalope or any other of the smaller melons that you can halve and scoop out the good parts.

9. Obe

Obe Member

Thanks for the suggestion Anne58--might actually try those!!

10. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Hello,
    My little lettuce plants are disappearing over night by the dozens. In the morning I see slug slime and assume that they are working alone to do all this damage. I have not yet tried the melon/citrus fruit peels solution (which I will do). My friend says that sprinkling the slugs with salt (of course, you need to be on night duty for this method) makes them dry up and die. Has anyone tried this and do you know if the salt could be bad for the plants?
    Thank you and regards,
    Saleve

11. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

Hi,

See the thread "Canadian Website for Pest Management-911" started by me a few days ago. I too have an explosion of slugs eating everything - it's very wet here this year. I found a very good website run by CDN gov't - one of the non-chemical methods they use is the grapefruit thing - now tht I've seen the pictures (thanks RBGINVAN!) I will definitely try it!

Good luck to us all !
    Cate

12. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Thanks Cate!
    I'll take a look.
    Regards,
    Saleve

13. barb t

barb t Member

people with slug/snail problems can check out the thread here about copper for some more info...
    I tried an idea a few years ago I'd heard somewhere, about planting things slugs hate...and apparently slugs hate herbs and some other strong-tasting plants...and as garlic and chives/onions are the plants that even some other PLANTs don't like!, I tried planting one or 2 individual chives about a foot apart in the areas with slug/snail trouble, and by the following spring they were all gone....no kidding.. ...
    and 3 years later they're still gone....and the chives are pretty when in flower in the spring...

14. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

That's sounds like a great idea, especially since chives are so easy to grow. I'll give it a try.
    Thank you!
    Saleve

15. barb t

barb t Member

Saleve I'd be very interested to hear how you make out. It almost seems TOO simple, doesn't it? :)

16. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Hello Barb,
    I just got back from a two week vacation to find that enormous slugs had taken over my garden. We arrived at home at around 11:00 this morning in full sun and these huge slugs were everywhere. They ate the green parts off of all of my onion plants. One of them was climbing up one of my pole bean plants. After the long plane ride and with jet lag, I decided that I'm going to tackle the problem tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
    Saleve

17. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

The results are in...
    After picking about 20 giant slugs out of my garden yesterday (I found them hiding under the folliage of my carrot plants) I laid orange peel traps. Today I found all the traps with slime around them and nice holes eaten out of them, but no slugs underneath. I think that perhaps these traps are too small for the big slugs. I have some melons that are almost ready to eat and will try them next.
    Saleve