Slime mold ID books?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jul 1, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx miss_myxomycete....nice to see a Slime lover! Do you know of any books that help with ID'ing them by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  2. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Re: Brown hairlike fungus

Hi C.Wick,

I have 3 i.d. books tho' none is really a field guide. Daniel actually asked me this question a while back, so I'll copy my answer to him here :

Oh, it would be so good to have a colour field guide...

I have 3 books on these gorgeous organisms :

i) Myxomycetes-A Handbook of Slime Molds-Steven L. Stephenson & Henry Stempen (Timber Press)
    ISBN 0-88192-439-3 (1994, paperback 2000)

US book, lots of b/w diagrams, a few b/w microscopic photos, 16 colour plates

ii) The Myxomycetes of Britain & Ireland-An Identification Handbook--Bruce Ing (Richmond Publishing)
    ISBN 0-85546-251-5 (1999 hardback only)

UK academic book, b/w diagrams

iii) how to know the true slime molds-M.L.Farr (WCB/McGraw-Hill, 'Pictured Key Nature Series')
    ISBN 0-697-04779-2 (1981 spiral-bound paperback)

US book, b/w diagrams & a few b/w photos.

All 3 contain general introductory information/chapters-habitat, structure, ecology etc - and also keys.

iii) is primarily a key (with only a few concise intro chapters) and fairly lightweight, the closest to a fieldguide, tho' no colour photos/diagrams. A lot of the diagrams are of microscopic detail but some good ones of colonies of fruiting bodies. Covers common species most likely to be encountered.

i) has excellent b/w diagrams. Also has a few intro chapters, then a key to orders, and species keys. More info on each species than iii), covers 175 common species only. It does call itself a fieldguide but most of it is not applicabe or useable in the field! unless you carry a very powerful microscope around with you... It's heavier than iii)

ii) concise intro chapters, key to orders & families, then the bulk of the book is divided into each family including a species key. B/w diagrams of each species mostly microscopic detail, diagrams not so good as i) & iii) but a lot more info on each species, and many, many more species covered. Excellent tome! Heavy! Includes worldwide distribution info (localised distribution only given for UK tho')

I don't know how easily available any of these are, I suspect iii) might be difficult to come by. I think they're all worth having!!

Hope that helps! Bruce Ing is running a course in Oct here in UK as part of the Field Studies Council "Moulds, Mildews and Microfungi" ....involves field collection and examination of myxomycetes and microfungi...

http://www.field-studies-council.org/2009/courseinfo.aspx?id=372

Can't go as have ongoing financial & health probs :( maybe in future years if it's still running.

All best to you & your wonderful photos!!

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Re: Brown hairlike fungus

And an avid reader of FUNGI...especially since my photo was the cover for this past Special Issue:Ethnomycology (Volume 2 No.2 2009). An excellent issue with a story about the hazards of field collecting........thanx to nature. :o)

Finding many more books on Myxomycetes...thanx everyone for the suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009