Skunk or racoon playing with winter protection? Help!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by honolua, Jan 17, 2010.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    Well, I am stumped. First I posted my note in the summer when I woke up one morning to my musa sikkimensis having been completely pushed over and leaves scattered around my yard. Consensus: raccoons. My musa recovers and nothing odd until the now. I live in the city in the pacific northwest and have a small yard with fencing and neighbours close by. I have several tropical plants and trees, requiring winter wrapping. So, on goes the usual: fleece, remay and finally, a remay cloth frost protection bag to keep it all need & tidy. Toggle the strings tight, and "Bob's your uncle". So it is supposed to go. Not this year!

Three times from Dec until now, I have woken up to find the remay cloth bag completely pulled off the trees (butia that is 4 feet tall, phoenix that is 3 feet tall and an experimental washingtonia robusta that is 4 feet tall). The bags are not only off, but the toggles that keep the string tight have been crushed, chewed on and are several feet away from the bags, which have lovely holes in them and are resting on the lawn and sidewalk several feet away from the trees. The string that was used to tie up the trees to make them easier to wrap and control is also strewn across the lawn. The fleece and remay cloth is messed up but still around the base of the trees. The most frustrating part is that the trees themselves look happy so far with no centre spear rot. They were HAPPY in their little warm cocoons and now, they are wet due to the heavy rains we have had and I have had to buy more supplies to have them wrapped in warm, dry stuff in case we get a colder snap as we often do in Jan.

Add to that mystery, the holes ripped in the poly'ed off temporary green house like contraption we have over a couple of other tropical plants against the fence. The holes are not just on the sides, but on the top at about 5-6 feet! So, it climbs, obviously....

I have seen "Pepe" as we call him, the neighbourhood skunk go under my neighbour's ground-level deck (he was not bright enough to mesh off, or seal off the one foot sized space between the ground and the deck). I figure Pepe lives there. Could it be him that is causing all this carnage?

I think that despite motion-sensored spotlights, pepper spray, and such, the beast(s) come and look for food anyway. Short of my husband and I taking turns watching all night for several weeks in case Pepe or friends come back, is there anything we can do to 1)confirm what it is and 2)make it think that between the last time he/she checked inside that nice wrapped up bundle for food and now, that nothing has changed!

Help!!! Has anyone else had this happen in the city?