Size of Dendrobium Nobiles?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ipv6ready, Nov 18, 2007.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Hi all,

I recently bought three nobiles 2 standard colour labelled Dendrobium Nobile and one labelled Dendrobium Nobile var Virginalis. (From different sellers)

My question is, are some variety smaller then the other or do they get fatter for few years before becoming a back cane.

the reason for my question is that of the two standard Den. Nobiles, one has the thickness of HB pencil and 20cm tall, the other more larger Den. Nobile like piny finger thick and 30cm? Whereas the Den. var Virginalis is like 40cm high and like thumb think.

The new growth on individual plants indicates that the thin one will be thin the others thick like the parent?

Any insight on this would be appreciated :) or is this just a stupid question.

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I only grow some Dendrobium hybrids but the size of the canes will also be affected by the growing conditions where they came from and the size of the previous cane (plants with large canes may produce even larger canes). More than likely your observations are correct and the thin caned plants will produce thinner canes but sometimes with good light and appropriate fertilizing you will produce new growths that are significantly larger than previous canes (more flowers too).

Shaun