Sick Wisteria - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by kzmainzer, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kzmainzer

kzmainzer Member

I planted a wisteria in our backyard and it was growing heartily until a few weeks ago. It has yellow and brown spots on the leaves, and even some (although not a lot of) holes. Many of the leaves are even falling off. I thought it might be a fungus and bought spray which doesn't seem to be helping. Incidentally, I have a plant in a pot right next to the wisteria (which is in the ground) and the plant in the pot has recently been showing similar signs of sickness. In fact, I saw hords of what look like ants crawling all over the plant in the pot. I don't want to loose either plant. Any ideas?

I live in VA if that's any help to figuring out this puzzle.

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Wisterias are basically disease free plants. This is the main reason why they are such long lived vines, with know specimens in china that are several hundred years old.

In the almost 20 years that I have been growing them, I have not come across any problems with pests or diseases. If something goes wrong and they look unhealthy, it more often than not has to do with something that we have done wrong. Over fertilising, under and over watering, herbicide overspray, etc.

A 500 Year old Wisteria in China