Sick Ponytail Palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Sharbear, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Sharbear

Sharbear Member

Help! I have an old Ponytail palm that has three heads. The tops (new growth) are starting to stick together and have a weird bend in them. The tops look really strange, otherwise it seems healthy. Any idea what is wrong with it? It is planted in the ground in south Florida. Any thoughts would be appreciated. All I have found on the web for diseases and or bugs doesn't show what I am talking about.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Post some photos if you can. Sometimes it is difficult to visualize what one is describing in text.

However, if the plant appears to be healthy, then chances are that it is, despite its growth pattern.

3. Sharbear

Sharbear Member

Thank you, I will try to get a photo. It has been raining here alot so it may be that it is getting too much water. I think I will dig it up and put it back in a pot. It has been in the ground a couple of years now. Do you think digging it up will kill it?

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Too much water will often create a burst of new growth that is pale, thin, and weak. It will often be associated with a collapse/folded over point about mid-leaf that looks like someone/something has pinched it off. It leaves a brown, damaged spot at this point that may appear as if pests were at fault. If this is the case, what is done, is done. All you can really do is allow the plant to dry out before rot sets in.

Should you dig it up? Chances are that it has quite a root system by now and given the time of year, you may be doing more harm than good, especially with a stressed plant. It is towards the end of the growing season and will be entering it's rest period soon. What I would suggest at this point would be to set down some large tarps in the immediate area if you think it is going to rain. Make sure that water can drain away from the plant. As soon as the weather clears, pull the tarp(s). You should be entering your Florida dry season soon.

The Spring is likely the best time to do any major changes like relocating, repotting, root cutting, etc. If you have poor drainage where the plant is, then you should move it to a location where there is. Some folks have to plant these plants in large, elevated berms of well-draining soil if the native soil does not drain well.

Mark

5. Sharbear

Sharbear Member

Going by what I read from your message, it doesn't seem that it has too much water. The tops are green and long but sort of twisted and folded over. Like if someone was to grab a bunch of long hair and twist it. The folded over part is stiff so you cant really straighten it out. I can peel away the leaves like peeling a bannana. It is the strangest thing. I will try to get a picture today and post it tomorrow.
    Thank you.

6. Sharbear

Sharbear Member

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. Sharbear

Sharbear Member

I can't email from my cell phone...it doesn't have web capabilities.