Sick Mature Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by keer13, Oct 6, 2011.

1. keer13

keer13 Member

I'm looking for some advice/help regarding a sick lemon tree.

We are in the process of moving to Bermuda from Vancouver. The house we rented has a huge yard with lots of lovely plants and trees. For the most part the plants and trees look healthy minus the sad looking lemon tree. I should preface my long question by saying that I know close to nothing about gardening but am very interested in learning how to!

As you can see from the picture the lemon tree is mostly dead-looking branches with no leaves. There are a few 'clumps' of branches with leaves but the leaves appear curled and unhealthy. There are ZERO lemons on it. The realtor said it was a lemon tree so I snapped off one of the few leaves and smelled it - it definitely smelled like lemon but there were no lemons to be seen!

I would love to nurse this lovely tree back to health but:
    1) I don't know what kind of lemon tree it is
    2) I don't know what is wrong with it
    3) I don't know how to care for a lemon tree

I'd love any advice that you have to share. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. SeaHorseFanatic

SeaHorseFanatic Member

Try adding some chicken manure/fertilizer to the soil around it and then water regularly. It may be suffering from neglect and lack of nutrients/water if the place is a rental. I know renters in Vancouver/Burnaby don't normally take great care of the garden unless they are avid gardeners. (Some homeowners too).

3. keer13

keer13 Member

Thanks for the tip. I will try that when we get to Bermuda. My fingers are crossed I can nurse her back to health.