Sick Maple - Drying out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by markmal, Jul 20, 2008.

1. markmal

markmal Member

Hello,

I have a young maple tree in my yard (planted 5 years ago - 15 feet when we planted). I just noticed a number of leafs on the ground around the tree in the last few days and after closer inspection, it looks like the leaves are drying out.

Brown brittal spots in the leaves, yellowing from the vains, and dry brittal leaves on the ground.

Can you please let me know if you have seen this before, what it may be and what if anything I can / should do about it.

Thanks,

Mark

Attached Files:

2. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

How long has the bark looked like that? That's your biggest clue, in my opinion.

3. markmal

markmal Member

Hi,

The bark has looked like that for a year or more. I am not sure what it is from, but going to assume deer.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bear or racoon damage maybe, except near the ground ?

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

Mark, 1 observation I would make from experience is that the grass around the tree
    looks like it is reducing water flow to the roots. As you know maples have fibrous roots
    nearer the surface (not a tap root like an oak etc) and I notice several good-sized
    roots have broken the surface looking for water. Your leaves could be showing moisture loss. I had a 12X12 Bloodgood planted beneath grass and after a dry winter
    the leaves scorched and looked horrible for the whole year. I took out the grass and
    put ground bark around the tree in a 3-4 ft diamter and mounded it up so that
    watering the bark would create good moisture and worms (aeration) for the roots and
    the tree looks much better. Your tree looks healthy enough but I worry as well about
    that split bark and what may be lawn mower damage shown near the trunk base.
    Those are places where insects can enter and kill a tree. It's hard to believe but as
    big as trees are, they are delicate and can be hurt by little things.
    Anyway, I hope I helped and wish you the best of good luck with your lovely tree!

6. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years