sick kentia palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by alex302, Feb 12, 2009.

1. alex302

alex302 Member

I'm new to this forum. Can somebody help me identufy a problem with my Kentia Palm tree?

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Fungal problem that needs pruning of the worst parts and a couple of sprays with fungicide for the rest. Any chance of a picure showing complete palm?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. alex302

alex302 Member

Most of the fronds are infected except one or two. I dont want to ruin the form of the palm. Can it just be sprayed and not cut back all the infected fronds? What do you reconmmend for a fungicide? I can take a full picture tomorrow.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I can't give names for fungicide because they'd probably differ to here, just pop into a decent garden centre who can advise further on that (probably something with Mancozeb and wettable sulphur or Copper oxychloride as the active constituent/ingredient). The reason it's best to remove the worst is to stop it spreading, yes you could just spray but it would be more effective if also pruned, you don't have to cut off the whole frond.

5. alex302

alex302 Member

What do you think about the trunk?

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Looks more like weather damage, is that side more exposed or facing a more exposed position?

7. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Did Costa Mesa... and your tree more specifically, receive freezing temperatures? And did the soil dry out completely during the past 4 months?

8. alex302

alex302 Member

We had a cold snap a couple of years ago. Are you thinking it water or weather damage? Could it be some sort of scale?

9. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Your tree is definitely stressed by some element, fungal or systemic. It would be difficult for my expertise to asses further. I would however take a cutting from a frond and march over to the nearest hort./nursery pronto.