Shrubs for a privacy barrier

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by cbale224, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I need to replant along the back of my lot. I am in zone 8 and the space gets 4 to 5 hours of direct sun in the afternoon. It is shielded from the east and is exposed on the west side. I am looking for suggestions for broadleaf evergreen shrubs that would grow from 10 to 15 feet tall. The shrubs should be dense enough to provide privacy. I would like an eclectic selection that would cover this 80 foot stretch. My preference is something that would flower and better yet be fragrant.

I would like suggestions.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Eucryphia intermedia
    Osmanthus burkwoodii
    Viburnum burkwoodii

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I can think of Leylandi,

Not sure how they would fair in the USA cold climes though. Although we do get frost its usually not too severe but Leylandi make super fast growing barriers/hedges.

http://www.leylandii.com/

4. Ron B

See plant selection guide section near front of Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK for other ideas.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Laurus nobilis,Photina Red Robin..

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

...Prunus lusitanica...

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Berberis darwinii. Impenetrable to intruders.

8. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Am almost sure,

We have the Berberis on a playing field near my home.I often admire the beautiful yellow flowers as I walk to my sisters. Only thing its got spines but looks lovely. I just looked at a site that sells them and it says:

Yow, not often you see that apart from Wiki. Problem is they don't let you have it even though they said allowed..strange!

Anyway I think with the lovely flowers its one I would like too as an hedge because my box is not doing so well..

9. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I planted the Osmanthus and the Viburnum. Thanks for the input.

I researched the Leylandii and went out into Seattle to look at examples. It seems they are popular and do well here as a privacy barrier. Thanks for the input.

I planted the Photina and I am looking for a cheap source for Laurus nobilis. Thanks for the input.

I planted a Prunus lusitanica, thanks for the input.

I researched the Berberis darwinnii based on your input. The orange flowers clash with my other color choices, but am taking a second look at the genius looking for yellow flowers. I researched the Berberis family based on your input and several with yellow flowers that would work quite nicely. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  10. Ron B

Note that Leyland cypress is a tall tree, sometimes subject to cypress tip moth and other problems here, and that Portugal laurel is a reseeding pest species locally, as is the related English laurel.

11. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I went into the city to look at mature specimens of Leyland Cyprus, Portugal laurel and English Laurel, and found quite a bit of information on-line. I chose a Portual Lauel as one of the selections for the back of my lot.

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Can't say I blame you for the choice,

Nice you looked at my choice of the Leylandi. You won't regret passing it by because its such a fast grower and its hard to keep up with it. Most cut the top of at a desired height.

Enjoy your new hedge

13. Ron B

The Leyland cypress (x Cupressocyparis leylandii) is widely used as a quick growing hedge or screen. If not pruned correctly in the early stages it can quickly get out of hand.

Topping and trimming taller hedges can be difficult and expensive, as well as shading gardens and drying the soil.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0402/pruning_leylandii.asp

14. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I don't like Laylandii Ron,

I prefer Box, Taxus Baggata anything except Leylandii lol

15. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very wise!!

16. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Ah, its a shame you know Michael!

In the hedge situ, looked after properly and protected against the wind (prevent wind burn) they *are a lovely hedge. I have small shrubs (green) like Leylandii but not and though they are low they suffer burn (go brown) due to my situ being a wind tunnel on some days and they look messy.

Funnily enough one shrub in the corner does'nt suffer burn even though its in a very windy position near a gate alley type position. My neighbour commented how tall it was too to say its the small type, must admit Michael its amazed me too.

The Box is coming out when it gets a bit drier, everything is awash at the moment.

Attached Files:

17. Ron B

Yellow forms of Monterey cypress such as 'Goldcrest'. These are now prevalent here also, frequently represented as indoor plants at outlets. Pricing tends to be higher than would be usual for similar items sold as landscape selections.

18. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

'Goldcrest'.

Yea Ron, thats they. I also do believe the discription mentiones indoor but we *never put ours indoors. The tall column one I have never touched it except to trim at ground level where the garden has puddled and rotted the foot. I wish they would all grow that narrow lol